If you've ever thought about starting a SaaS app or a business as a developer, this is a must-listen! Gregg shares a ton of great tips about customer validation and pivoting to ensure you're successful before you commit to building a product.
We also talk about Vue 3, the upcoming Composition API, how Vue Mastery supports the Vue core team! (25 cents of every dollar they get goes to fund Vue!)
This episode was very educational for us as content-creators and we had a blast talking to Gregg.
- 1:01 - Intro
- 2:35 - Why did Gregg come to Orlando?
4:03 - Working for mp3.com
- Gregg's big oopsie - Video
- 6:10 - Gregg's failed startups
- 7:24 - The importance of customer validation
9:12 - Gregg's first Orlando Startup
- Rails Envy to Envy Labs
- 14:21 - Why did Gregg start a consultancy?
16:37 - Getting leads through the Ruby meetup and podcast
- Creating an awesome agency/consultancy for developers
- 22:38 - How Gregg created a great environment for developers
- 25:26 - Flexibility for working from home and in office
27:05 - Why did Gregg leave Envy Labs?
- The Birth of Code School
- 31:10 - Where did StarterStudio come from?
36:00 - Vue Mastery
- The Code School acquisition by PluralSight
- Giving 25% of Revenue to VueJS
40:17 - Does Gregg talk directly to Evan You?
- Upcoming Vue 3 content from Vue Mastery
- 42:02 - Why did Gregg choose Vue?
- 43:37 - What does Gregg think of Vue Hooks/the Composition API
51:48 - Vue 3 stuffs on Vue Mastery
- 52:20 - When is Vue 3 coming?
- 54:11 - What advice do you have for anyone just getting started in a business venture?
1:01:38 - What do you do after customer validation?
- Building a product
- Taking time off from work
- Giving yourself time to experiment
- 1:09:24 - You don't need a lump sum of money
1:11:08 - Should you bring in other developers to your startup idea?
1:12:56 - Where to find Gregg
1:13:32 - Nerd Minute!
- Gregg deep dives into Psychology 🤔
- Nicky Case's anxiety game
- The Dark Crystal Prequel (Netflix)
- 13 Reasons Why (Netflix)