How about some positivity in your news feed?
We spoke to Will in September of 2019 about his journey into the Tech industry while he worked his day job and coded on nights and weekends. Soon after that episode, Will got his first tech job, bought a new home, and ultimately saw all his hard work and dedication pay off.
We talk to Will about his new job, his recent success, and also about his foray into learning Ruby and Ruby on Rails.
- 1:01 - Intro
2:40 - Recap of Will's Previous Career
- Twinkie Filling 🍰
- 3:58 - Factory Pay vs Firefighter/Paramedic Pay
- 5:59 - How much time Will spent learning to code
- 7:54 - How did Will get started working for Egghead?
- 10:52 - Will's Role at Egghead as a Learner Advocate
- 11:51 - What is Egghead.io
- 15:44 - What has Will learned from Egghead so far?
- 17:44 - Will's experiences with Ruby
- 21:03 - Ruby/Rails overview
- 27:10 - Why's Poignant Guide to Ruby
- 28:52 - Michael Hartl's Ruby Tutorial
- 30:26 - The Odin Project
- 31:43 - Going from Front end dev to backend with Ruby and Rails, working at Egghead
- 33:07 - Lifestyle differences between starting in tech and factory work
- 35:25 - Video of Will Surprising his kids with a new house
- 37:09 - Looking back on Will's journey, advice for his past self
- 41:58 - How Will found success through networking
46:06 - Our wins through Networking
- Listen to Will's previous episode on the show.
- 48:20 - Opening yourself up to opportunities
- 52:34 - Fear of getting laid off
59:39 - Nerd Minute
- The Boys
- Clone Wars
- Resident Evil 2
- Resident Evil 3