COVID hasn't been kind to the job market
Developers have been laid off in droves and are re-entering the job market, plus companies are skiddish about spending money on new talent with profits taking a dive. So what are you supposed to do in a struggling job market as a junior developer?
We asked Recruiter Javier Dutan for advice. We covered some great tips for standing out as a developer in the job search and got a great perspective on how recruiters handle recruiting.
We also talked about Latinx developers and minorities in tech, as well as the central Florida tech industry.
- 0:58 - Intro and how Javier became a Recruiter
4:05 - Javier's interest in Technology
- Bitcoin is bad
5:46 - Building a Restaurant Point of Sale System as a Startup
- Running a Restaurant Tech Meetup
- 9:48 - Switching from a development shop to a recruitment agency
- 11:45 - How do you vet developers as a recruiter?
12:46 - "Toxic Developers"
- The importance of empathy as a developer
- 12:45 - Social Media in Recruiting
- 22:01 - Series A and Series B Startups
- 23:05 - The Stability of Startups
- 25:18 - COVID and the Job Market
- 29:43 - Do Juniors stay in jobs longer?
- 30:45 - How do you determine a dev's level from their resume?
- 32:43 - Do you look at GitHub heatmaps?
33:23 - Skills for Data Science jobs
- Python, R, Tableau
34:48 - What's a CRM? (Customer Relationship Management)
- SalesForce and Data Science
- Microsoft Business Intelligence
- 36:37 - Latinx Meetup for Developers - Techqueria
40:43 - Minorities in Bootcamps
- General Assembly Market Study Survey
- 42:22 - Advice for Bootcamp Graduates
- 44:43 - Do all applicants need a website or just front-end developers?
- 46:00 - Networking advice for developers
- 48:33 - Goals for Techqueria and Allies
- 50:13 - Other Resources for Junior Developers
- 53:00 - Florida Tech Companies
- 55:33 - Ruby positions in 2020 for Juniors
- 56:43 - Coding Tests for Junior Developers
57:20 - Nerd Minute
- Starcraft 2
- Starcraft 2 ...gambling
- Warhammer 40k and Henry Cavill
- Primal on Adult Swim
- Venture Bros
- Resident Evil 0
- Slay The Spire