Breaking into the Tech Industry Part Four
We're continuing our breaking into tech series this week with some strategies for the job search.
As Eddie and I see it, there's two main strategies for looking for work: you either shotgun your resume to every available opportunity, or leverage your network to find leads where you might have a foot in the door already. It's sort of a hot vs cold approach. Hot leads always have better returns compared to cold.
That said, there's merit to both strategies, so tune in this week to hear our thoughts!
- 1:01 - Intro
- 1:58 - The Shotgun/Cold Approach to applying to Jobs
- 5:21 - Standing out and Why your Resume must be on-point
- 8:09 - Shoutout to Syntax.FM and their boot camp episode
- 10:53 - Dealing with Rejection and Eddie's experience in the job search
- 13:25 - Rejection isn't always your fault
- 15:17 - Leveraging your Network in the Job Search
- 17:13 - Misconceptions about Networking
- 20:36 - Shoutout to Orlando Devs
- 21:30 - How Lee got his first job
- 21:54 - Working in Public and using Social Media to your advantage
- 24:02 - Handling Criticism
24:47 - The three-legged stool of the Job Search
25:49 - Our Adventures in Networking
- 28:41 - Bringing a friend if you're shy and types of networking opportunities
- 31:30 - The Job Search Strategy Verdict
34:25 - Nerd Minute
- Superman: Red Sun