What is Data Science? What does a data scientist do?
Data Scientist Amelia Bennett joined us this week to explain what she does and the various facets of the data science field.
We talk about Machine Learning, Statistics, and more!
Amelia also offers some advice and a few solid tips for getting into the data science field.
- 1:01 - Intro and Amelia's Background
- 4:31 - What languages do you use as a Data Scientist?
6:51 - What is Data Science?
- Burtch Works Report
3 types of Data Science Workers:
- Analystics: Inferring business value from data
- Algorithms: creating predictions from data sets
- Inference: working with unstructured data sets
- 12:08 - "Cleaning" a data set
- 13:17 - Machine Learning with Data Science
16:44 - What is Machine Learning?
- Logistic Regression
18:28 - Getting started with Machine Learning
- 21:39 - Scraping Data and Amelia's Side Project
- 25:55 - Weakly Supervised Learning and Training Models
- 27:09 - Annotating Data
30:30 - Scraping with Python's "Beautiful Soup" library
- Beautiful Soup Homepage - Site
- 32:10 - Why would a business hire a Data Scientist?
- 33:58 - Advice for getting into the Data Science field
36:54 - Math for Developers
- Fooled By Randomness by Nassim Taleb - Amazon
- 39:05 - Logistic Regression is the bread and butter
39:50 - Cloud Machine Learning Services
- AWS Rekognition - Site
- 43:33 - Automated Machine Learning
47:24 - Nerd Minute
- Divinity Original Sin 2
- Mass Effect
- Netflix's Mindhunter
- HBO's Chernobyl