Listen. I'm a developer, and design makes me... nervous.
It's a very touchy-feely, amorphous, subjective thing that has no clear right or wrong. With code, things work or they don't. With a design, some people 💖 it, some hate it.
How do you navigate that?
Travis Neilson to the rescue! Travis is a Google Search Designer, podcaster, YouTuber, and developer with a lot of experience.
We talk about what UX/UI even is and means, how to get started with design, and why Tobey Maguire is the best Spiderman. (Yes. And you know what, it was somewhat relevant to design)
This was a long episode, but there wasn't much fat to trim. A lot of critical thinking goes into a product and service for a customer, and we talk about all the different angles you can come at solving problems for users.
It's not just about where you place the buttons and what colors you use.
- 2:54 - Google Design Process
- 5:50 - Developer vs Designer
7:56 - What is UX/UI?
- Bad UX example - Link
11:30 - Do you even code, bro?
- DevTips - YouTube
- 15:31 - Fundamentals and taking a holistic approach to design
19:11 - Design Thinking at Google
- Here's the graph: YouTube
- 25:06 - Considering your audience and medium
29:13 - That TED talk
- Pop Music is Stuck on Repeat by Colin Morris - YouTube
- 38:55 - What if you have NO design chops?
- 48:31 - Considering the context of use for what you're making
- 50:49 - What about mobile first design?
52:23 - What design tools do you use?
- 57:19 - Beginner-friendly design tips
- 58:56 - What to do when you're stuck
1:00:11 - Feedback vs 'Feelback'
- Dealing with Harsh Criticism
- 1:05:36 - Side Projects and Personal Growth
1:09:22 - "Yoda-esque" Advice... give me something concrete!
1:14:30 - Why is there only Dark mode/Light Mode options for UI nowadays?
1:19:33 - Look! We found a resource to make every 2019 website!
- Undraw - Link
- 1:21:03 - Illustrations vs Photography in apps
1:25:25 - Nerd Minute and Shameless plugs!
Lee's Fav Guitar Pedal stuffs