Music is a huge part of our lives. We love to listen to it, we love to play it, and we love to make our own.
The journey to becoming a musician can be just as tumultuous as that of becoming a developer. There's impostor syndrome, over-engineering, considering your users/audience... the similarities are staggering.
We've been musicians for much longer than we've been developers, and we've learned a lot of life lessons from playing music. We think those lessons can be transferred to learning development.
Join Eddie and Lee as they explore the challenges they faced as musicians and learn how you can apply those hard-learned lessons to development!
- 0:45 - How music is similar to development
- 1:00 - How we got into music
- 5:55 - The challenges of music and guitar
7:00 - Ira Glass: "The Gap"
8:15 - Guitar Center Syndrome
- Video - Picture yourself as a beginner guitarist sitting next to this guy
- 14:20 - The value of lessons, guidance, and mentorship
- 20:00 - Purposeful Practice
- 25:10 - Staying Motivated
31:45 - Book-learning vs Video Tutorials and live collaboration
- 34:00 - Showing off vs Making Music
42:50 - Our Favorite Bands
44:45 - Nerd Minute! (Spoiler Zone)