Working with AWS is Tough!
I have a friend that describes AWS dashboards as "DevOps Porn".
You don't have to be a DevOps wizard to try AWS though! AWS Amplify is an accelerator for AWS that will get you up and running quickly.
Today Kurt runs us through the use cases for Amplify as well ask talks about using it as a starting point for AWS.
In the second half of the show, we dive into some career advice for developers that are working to overcome their past.
We've had more than a few developers reach out to us about felony convictions and background checks.
Kurt knows quite a bit about the topic. Kurt is an ex-convict and managed to get into Tech despite having felony charges. We dive into Kurt's story and how he turned his life around after spending most of his 20's behind bars.
1:09 - What is a Developer Advocate
- What does Kurt do for AWS?
2:13 - AWS is a nightmare... What is Amplify and how does it help?
- 5:04 - The "cloud" and AWS
6:16 - Why use AWS?
- Reliability, Cost, Scaling
- 7:17 - What is scaling?
- 8:57 - Serverless vs Amplify
- 13:14 - Local development in Amplify
- 18:07 - Machine Learning and AWS Rekognition
- 20:23 - AWS Pricing and Free Tiers
23:23 - Kurt's Story
- Going from Ex-con to Developer
- 32:09 - Kurt's Drug Addiction and Conviction
- 34:26 - "Rehabilitation" in Prison
- How Kurt picked himself up and made the best of it
- 38:18 - The determination to become a developer
- Staying out of Prison after release
- Dealing with Background Checks
- 41:36 - How Kurt got his first developer job
- 46:08 - Picking up interview skills from Prison
- 47:29 - Advice for other ex-cons
- 54:55 - Is freelancing an option?
- 59:31 - Final words of encouragement from Kurt
1:01:23 - Kurt's podcast, Fullstack health!
1:03:32 - Nerd Minute
- Thanos in the Comics vs Movies
- Spiderman: Far From Home
- Originally by Garth Ennis!