We talked to Marisa Morby a few weeks back about product management. Marisa has a design background and we talked to her about how that influenced her approach to being a product manager.
This week we're talking to Irma Mesa about product management. Irma has a development background, so we're going to dig into what she does as a PM and how her programming background applies to her current role.
We also talk about working remotely and contrast it against the traditional office environment.
- 1:01 - Intro
2:08 - How did you become a Product Manager?
- What does a Product Manager do?
- 10:23 - Does your development experience help you as a PM?
- 13:03 - How do you apply your PM experience to personal projects?
- 15:22 - How does senior management view Product Management?
- 20:47 - Do you get involved in the AGILE process at work?
- 25:50 - Is Product Management a good transition from development?
- 30:07 - Can Product Management be a foot in the door for a development job?
- 30:52 - Are there Product Manager certifications?
- 31:19 - How does UX differ from Product Management?
- 32:44 - How do you function as a remote worker doing Product Management?
- 36:37 - How to find remote work without experience
- 40:56 - Open Offices and time saved from working remotely
43:54 - How to convince managers to trust their team to work remotely
- Micromanagers! 😫
49:49 - Why does Irma have a podcast, blog, newsletter, etc.?
- Why do we do all that stuff for Tech JR?
- Pushing for better diversity in Tech and how it affects products and services
56:09 - Where to find Irma online
58:04 - Nerd Minute
- Cicada 3301 - YouTube
- IT Chapter 2
- Spawn Animated Series on HBO