WAMP, MAMP, XAMPP... more like CRAMP!
For Lee, he couldn't figure out how to install PHP and make it play nice with his Windows machine. When he opened Laravel, it was a jungle of files and folders.
Eddie's class skipped PHP entirely in favor of spending more time on React.
But they haven't forgotten about PHP! Lots of companies use PHP/Laravel for their API/back end stack, freelancers love PHP because it's cheap and easy to deploy, and seemingly every CMS is built on PHP.
After feeling left out for so long, Lee and Eddie found Matt Stauffer and asked, "Why is getting into PHP so tough?"
This episode is all about the best ways to get into PHP and Laravel and start learning and being productive. Matt was a fantastic and knowledgeable guest, and he shared a fantastic game plan for beginning your PHP journey.
- 1:10 - Intro
7:13 - Why use PHP?
- Tooling, Frameworks, Ecosystem, CMS
- 10:34 - How to get set-up for PHP
17:23 - What about Windows?
- Laragon - Site
- 20:37 - Pitfalls for learning PHP coming from JS
24:25 - Is PHP stateless?
- What does stateless mean?
- 27:04 - How does PHP work with SPAs like React and Vue?
- 32:14 - Should you learn Laravel before you learn PHP? (Yes.)
39:37 - Laravel
- What's with all the files/folders?
- Learning Design Patterns through Laravel
46:50 - Matt streams Laravel learning
- Watch Matt build stuff - Site
- 50:31 - Navigating all of Laravel's features
- 54:01 - Laravel monoliths vs Microservices + Serverless
59:19 - What is Forge?
- Deploying PHP apps without touching Linux/Apache
- 1:02:54 - Our Boot Camp PHP experiences
1:05:12 - AWESOME PHP LINKS/RESOURCES/PLUGS
1:08:59 - Nerd Minute