Howard Salter was working as a developer in the late 90's and early 00's. He was making good money and had a solid career. But after 9/11, Howard left all that behind to serve his country and fight in Iraq.
Howard served in the Army infantry for 7 years before deciding to hang it up and return to civilian life. He decided to pursue a career in tech again as a programmer.
Howard succeeded and eventually started teaching a coding boot camp, becoming Eddie's instructor!
We talk to Howard this week all about his amazing journey as a soldier, developer, and teacher. He shares his lessons learned about leadership and how to apply them to the tech industry. We also talk about how to survive a code boot camp and market yourself to get hired.
- 1:01 - Intro and Howard's story
- 4:58 - Why did Howard join the U.S. Army?
10:54 - Why did you leave the Army after 7 years?
- Learning PHP
- 14:00 - Do you look back on your career and regret your service?
16:00 - What did you take from your military career and apply to the technical industry?
- Leadership, 1:1's
- Taking charge of your own career
- 19:12 - How did you get started teaching?
21:33 - Howard sounds off on how awesome Eddie was in class and why
- Eddie's final project for bootcamp
23:00 - Howard talks about the perils of teaching an online class
- The types of students in a bootcamp
- 27:29 - The type of student Lee was in his bootcamp
28:07 - Howard's opinion of bootcamps
- The importance of student effort in the bootcamp
- 30:27 - Calling on the weaker classmates to boost confidence
- 32:02 - Calling on Eddie in class and Impostor Syndrome
- 33:53 - How do you keep everyone on task in a classroom?
- 39:33 - Howard's advice for bootcamp students entering the workforce and searching for jobs
45:18 - Howard shares his experiences working for Electronic Arts
- Working as a contractor
- 50:31 - Ageism in Tech
55:16 - Are there a lot of leadership/architecture positions out there for experienced devs?
- The Orlando Market
- 1:00:50 - Putting in 100% and taking charge of your career
1:03:02 - Where to find Howard online
1:04:16 - Nerd Minute
- John Wick 3
- Hobbs and Shaw